Wednesday, February 2, 2022

The Great Fredric Brown Re-Read: "The Screaming Mimi"

 

A while back I stumbled upon "Death Has Many Doors," the final book I needed to finish my Ed and Am Hunter collection. I promptly devoured it and pledged to do some re-reading of Brown's work. Back in my misspent young life I figured out how good of a writer Brown was. Then I spent a fair amount of time looking around for the rest of his back catalog. Not an easy task. He's one of those guys people keep around on the shelf...for re-reading. I mostly assume I'm reading a dead-man's book when I find myself with a Fredric Brown in my hand. Who would give any up? No sane person. A little while after that I lucked into this wonderful Bantam copy and I couldn't resist it any longer. So, now I have three copies. Jeez.

Brown is mostly known now for his science fiction work (thank him for the best episode of "Star Trek" ever: "Arena," where Kirk fights the Gorn) which I've only sampled a small amount of but liked immensely. It's his mystery/thriller fiction that I adore. The science fiction and horror blend over into his suspense work so I get the best of both worlds anyway. The Ed and Am Hunter books explore a lot of funky subjects, werewolves, aliens, etc. etc. I really get a kick out of sci-fi writer's working in the mystery genre, they usually turn things on their head or chip at it in an interesting way. An outsiders look, I suppose or maybe just a deep thinker's look at the tropes. You can expect a fair, incredibly tightly written piece of work when you pick up a Brown novel or short story. Like a lot of the greats, he got his start in the pulps. If you like pulp mystery tales try and track down Dennis McMillan's reprint series "Fredric Brown in the Detective Pulps" and you won't be disappointed. 

But what we got here is "The Screaming Mimi," which might be Brown's most famous mystery novel. It got filmed in 1958 with Anita Ekberg, so it can't be all bad. Though it's not exactly great, it's somewhere between a steamy film-noir, an episode of Dragnet featuring this new police technique called "psychology," the later harder horror-tinged stuff. "Psycho" was a mere two years away. The book also served as inspiration for "The Bird with the Crystal Plumage" by Dario Argento, that one's a helluva lot better. The 1958 version is interesting mostly as juxtaposition between an older style of the thriller and the dawn of wilder more daring stuff that's found in Giallo and Krimi films on the other side of the pond. Not to mention homegrown film stuff. 

"The Screaming Mimi" was real hot stuff for 1949. Near revolutionary in its take on character, psychology, and pure shock. Bill Sweeney is a stock character: a pulp newshound. The detective mags were full of colorful hard-drinkin' reporters. That's what Sweeney is, a colorful hard-drinkin' reporters, only Sweeney is most assuredly an alcoholic. When we meet him, he's been a long drunk. Reduced to park benches and getting life advice from hobo's named God. Which might not actually be the worst thing for him. Sweeney's probably homeless and jobless, but thankfully his editor and landlady pity him enough to help him out. It doesn't hurt that Sweeney's on hand during the aftermath of a brutal "Ripper" attack of the beautiful (and often nude) Yolanda complete with snarling, protective dog, cops, and on lookers. Sweeney's swift writing and personal attraction start the ball rolling on his off-the-books time investigation of the Ripper, what we call now a serial killer that's been slashing up blondes. Sweeney fights through the whole book to stay sober enough to figure it all out. It's a pretty honest depiction of guy with a problem and a lot deeper than what you got in most protagonists of the time. Again, Brown is a forbearer to what comes a bit later in the 50's in the PBO's. 

Sweeney's also a bit of a mush-heart, he's okay with eccentric sad artists who poke him in the gut, gives his money to his buddies, he makes friends quickly with cops, ex-cops, crooks and about everyone. Perfect example, along the way he questions an obviously homosexual store owner. Sweeney and Brown treat the character with a lot of respect, they have a prolonged conversation and a drink together as Sweeney finds the titular "Screaming Mimi" statue. It's 1949 and Brown treats a gay character then a lot of stuff I've read well into the 90's and probably now. You understand why his boss and landlady watch out for him, the landlady even preventing a drunken Sweeney from hocking his typewriter (his lifeblood) during his bender. You root for Sweeney. On top of that it's a rollicking ticking-clock of a mystery as Sweeney runs down leads, fears for his life, and tangles with odd-ball psychologists, mugs, flatfoots, B-Girls, and the like. 

Okay, even the first time I figured out the twist ending. That has more to do with countless other novels and movies using the same gimmick. And the psychology is a bit weak, but ya know 1949. I enjoyed it more this time around. I was 18-19 when I read it the first time, sandwiched between two Ed and Am books I believe and I just took it on its face value: a helluva fun, thrilling mystery novel. It's that and a lot more. He's an impressive writer, if you even have a passing interest in mystery and thriller fiction give this one a try, it's probably his strongest stand-alone work and a great entry point that isn't involved in a series. "Night of the Jabberwock" is also a strong candidate for a recommendation, it's just funnier. They don't make 'em like this anymore and I don't think anyone other than Fredric Brown ever made 'em like this. I mean he wrote a book called "Murder Can Be Fun" and proved it over and over again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment